All building permit applications submitted on or after March 18, 2013 must use Certified Plan Corrections to address plan review corrections. These changes will result in a shorter, simpler and more efficient permit process.
With Certified Plan Corrections, the professionals of record assume responsibility for compliance with the plan review corrections without additional plan examinations. The Open Plan Review appointment between the professionals of record and DOB plan examiners is eliminated. The plans are amended by the professionals of record to address all plan corrections and revised plans uploaded for the Final Review. The applicant is issued a conditional building permit, subject to field inspection, upon approval of the Final Review and payment of the permit fee.
Please note that Certified Plan Corrections applies to corrections issued pursuant to a full plan review. In the event that the plans are incomplete and a full review cannot be performed, (for example, if the plans are missing ventilation calculations, plumbing fixture placements, or exit-ways, etc.), the plans will need to go through the review process prior to the Certified Plan Corrections process.
Certified Plan Corrections (CPC):
All projects must use Certified Plan Corrections to address plan corrections. The following CPC items are required at the Final Review.
1. The professionals of record must amend the plans to thoroughly address all of the DOB plan corrections. All changes to the plans must be bubbled, dated and initialed by the professionals of record.
2. A new sheet titled “Certified Plan Corrections” must be inserted immediately behind the cover sheet. This sheet must include an itemized list of all plan examiner corrections along with the respective typed response to each correction. Each response must include a concise description of the drawing modification and location of the modified detail(s) and sheet(s) within the set.
3. The Certified Plan Corrections sheet must include the Professionals of Record Certification Statement signed and sealed. The Professionals of Record Certification Statement establishes compliance with all of the DOB plan corrections. A sample of the Professionals of Record Certification Statement can be obtained at www.cityofchicago.org/buildings.
4. Upload the amended plans and applications to DOB via E-Plan for the Final Review.
5. The Final Review is performed after zoning is approved.
Correction Mediation Meeting:
Also effective March 18, 2013, the Department will hold Correction Mediation Meetings only when necessary. DOB staff knows that instances may arise where there may be a difference of interpretation as to the applicability of a section or sections of the Municipal Code. The purpose of the Correction Mediation meeting is to provide a forum for design professionals to discuss with the Department staff whether a technical correction required by the City is mandated by the Municipal Code.
Design professionals and City staff will have the opportunity to document any changes at the meeting to move the permit process forward. If any changes to the technical drawings are necessary, the design professional can certify those corrections on the spot and may upload those changes either during or after the meeting without delaying the permit process.
DOB Correction Mediation meetings will be held on Wednesdays from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
To schedule a DOB Correction Mediation meeting go to DOBCorrections@cityofchicago.org. Please include your cell phone number in the email; also include the application number and address in the subject line of the email.
Certified Corrections Link: