Apply for a Recycling Facility Permit
The Chicago City Council amended the Recycling Facility Permits Ordinance for all junkyards and recyclers in Chicago. Beginning June 13, 2008:
- All junkyards and recyclers will be permitted as recycling facilities.
- Facilities that dismantle vehicles or auto parts will be permitted as Class IV recycling facilities.
Other changes include:
- A new three-year permit term that will be phased in over the next three years.
- New record keeping requirements for certain transactions.
- The elimination of the recycling bond requirement.
Read the ordinance and the Rules and Regulations for Recycling Facilities.
To apply for a permit for a recycling facility:
- Fill out a recycling facility permit application.
- Attach a check or money order payable to the City of Chicago for the permit fee. Determine the fee amount.
- Mail the application and payment to:
Recycling Facility Permit Application
Chicago Department of Public Health
333 South State Street
Chicago IL 60604
- A permit will be issued and mailed to you when your application is approved.
Call the Department of Public Health at 312.745.3133 if you have any questions about requirements for recycling facility permits.
Supporting Information and Resources