Credit Card and Employee Reimbursement Review
The City of Chicago implemented a new City-wide Reimbursement Policy aimed at increasing accountability and efficiency across city government and protecting taxpayer money. Following Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s order for a comprehensive review of the City’s reimbursement and credit card policies, Comptroller Amer Ahmad issued a report and new policy to department and agency leadership.
The new policy:
- Completely eliminates petty cash funds;
- Strictly outlines and limits permissible reimbursements;
- Decreases the number of city credit cards from over 500 to 30, while imposing strict regulations and limits on acceptable charges;
- Requires all reimbursements be posted online;
- Replaces flawed and unclear department policies that allowed unnecessary and costly charges and reimbursements, as well as mismanagement of petty cash funds;