|Exemptions, Deductions and Credits:
||The ordinance differentiates between exempt lessees and exempt leases, rentals and uses. The classes of exempt lessees are:
There are twelve types of exempt leases. They include:
- Lessees that are governmental bodies
- Charitable, Educational, and Religious Organizations
- Insurance Companies
- Property leased outside the city that is primarily used outside the city (50%)
- Property that is leased from a party subject to certain occupation taxes
- Leases of "rolling stock" in interstate commerce by an interstate carrier for hire
- Leases of property where the rental price is paid by inserting one or more coins or bills of U.S. currency into an attached mechanism
- Leases of medical equipment or appliances for the purpose of correcting or treating parts of his or her own body
- The lease of a ground transportation vehicle if the lessor is subject to the ground transportation tax
- Leases of property where the lessor and lessee are members of the same related group. "Related" means companies under a parent corporation/person that owns 100% of the voting stock of subsidiaries either directly or indirectly.
- Leases by a membership organization to a member of such membership organization. This includes the trading companies on the stock exchange. This is similar to related parties in that the member must be directly or indirectly owned by a member of the Membership Organization.
- The nonpossessory lease of a computer used in execution, clearing, processing, matching or recording of a trade on a board of trade designated as a contract market by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, or on a securities exchange registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission, or any other trade of any security or any comparable security with respect to commodities, whether or not the parties to the lease also are parties to the trade.
- The nonpossessory lease of a computer used to deposit, withdraw, transfer, or lend money or securities (i.e., ATM machines, banking transactions).
- The nonpossessory computer lease in which the customer’s use or control of the computer is de minimis and the related charge is predominantly for information transferred (e.g., the nonpossessory lease of a computer to receive current price quotations)
- Lease of motion picture film by theaters is exempt. (Motion picture films are subject to the Amusement Tax.)
Affidavit for Apportionment of Use of Nonpossessory Computer Leases
Re-Lease and Registration Certificates
Transaction Tax Exemption Application for Small New Businesses