What We Do
MOPD provides the following housing services:
- Home Modifications that will allow people with disabilities, who are under the age of sixty, to receive home modifications that make their living environment accessible.
- Links people with disabilities with appropriate, available and accessible housing. Information, short-term counseling and referral services are provided to people with disabilities who are trying to secure housing in Chicago, and need information on housing rights and housing programs.
- Maintains resource listings of services in Chicago that are usable by people with disabilities.
- Provides information on how to modify existing homes and apartments for accessibility and how to finance these modifications.
- Educates housing professionals who want to learn the accessibility guidelines -- as mandated by accessible housing laws such as the Illinois Accessibility Code (IAC) and the Fair Housing Amendments Act (FHAA) -- are provided with information and written materials.
- Advocates on various levels (individually and legislatively) for accessible housing and the housing rights of people with disabilities via individual contact, workshops, seminars and other education strategies.
For more information, please contact MOPD at 311 or by dialing 312-744-6673 (Voice) or 312-744-7833 (TTY), or stop by @ 2102 W Ogden Ave.