Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection
City Services

Valet Parking Operator Business License


2016 -- Official Notice of Changes to Valet Parking Operator Licensing

City of Chicago Valet Parking Operator business license(s) will expire on June 30, 2016.


Effective May 2, 2016

All Valet Parking Operator business license applications and communications will now be processed at the Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection’s “Small Business Center” located at City Hall, 121 N. LaSalle Street, Room 800.

Valet Parking Operator Licenses will no longer be accepted, transacted or processed at 2350 W Ogden.

A Valet Parking Operator license is required for any “valet parking service”.

“Valet parking operator” means a person who employs one or more attendants for the purpose of providing a valet parking service or who contracts his own services, but not in the capacity of employee, to any business establishment, for the purpose of providing a valet parking service to such establishment.

“Valet parking service” means a parking service provided to accommodate patrons of any business establishment, which service is incidental to the business of the establishment and by which an attendant on behalf of the establishment takes temporary custody of the patrons’ motor vehicle and moves, parks, stores or retrieves the vehicle for the patrons’ convenience.

A separate Valet Parking Operator license is required for every location.

When is a Valet Parking Operator License NOT required?
A license is NOT required for any business establishment that provides patron parking entirely and solely on its premises or to any hotel that provides parking entirely on its premises for guests or for patrons of business establishments located on the hotel’s premises.

However, a valet parking operator license shall be required when the vehicle or the keys to the vehicle are given to the valet parking attendant on any part of the public way, even if the actual parking of the vehicle is done entirely and solely on the establishment’s premises.

License Requirements:
In order to maintain and/or apply for a 2016 Valet Parking Operator business license(s), you will be required to submit a business license application packet for each operating legal entity and meet with a “Small Business Center” representative for processing. Please adhere to the following requirements to properly submit your completed business license application packet.

Valet Parking Operator business license packet submission requirements:

  • Review and complete in its entirety, for each legal entity, a Business Information Sheet (BIS)
  • Certificate of Insurance for the location being served. The required minimum insurance coverage amounts are $1,000,000 per occurrence for public liability, $1,000,000 per occurrence for property damage, and $1,000,000 per occurrence for garage keeper’s legal liability. 
  • Proof of Loading Zone: Applicants should either have (1) a current loading zone installed in the place of business or (2) a letter from the Alderman approving the location to have a loading zone sign installed, indicating what date the loading zone sign will be introduced as an ordinance to the Chicago City Council for approval.
  • Corporate Articles and Minutes.
  • A valid lease or proof of ownership for the 15% of off street parking in a lot or garage. Valet parking operators are required to provide off street parking for 15% of the occupancy of the business.
  • Application fee: $600.00 per location
  • License term: July 1 – June 30

Valet Parking Ordinance:
Chicago businesses must comply with all relevant federal, state, and City laws and rules. All laws and rules of the City of Chicago including the Consumer Protection Law and Rules, are accessible to the public using the following link:

Valet Parking Operator Ordinance – MCC 4-232

How do I apply?
You may apply in-person at BACP’s Small Business Center, 121 North LaSalle Street, Room 800.

  • Application intake hours are from 8:30 AM through 3:30 PM, Monday through Friday.
  • An appointment is recommended, and can be made online or by calling (312) 74-GOBIZ (744-6249).