What We Do
Easy Permit Process Program
The Easy Permit Process is a streamlined process for small, simple home and building improvement projects. It allows home and building owners to obtain a permit to Repair or Replace the same or existing features of a building without requiring architectural plans. You can use the Easy Permit Process for the following project types:
Inside the Building
- Drywall Replacement (greater than 1,000 square feet)
- Furnaces (replacement of existing gas-fired only in all commercial buildings and residential buildings with 4 or more dwelling units)
- Existing Plumbing Fixture Replacement
- Electrical Work (requires a licensed electrician)
- Counter Top and Cabinet Replacement (required for condos only)
- Scaffolding – an easy permit can be received same day if the work has been approved by the Chicago Department of Transportation.
Outside the Building
- Doors/Window Replacement (4 dwelling units or more, if same size, same location)
- Fences (non-masonry fences great than 5 ft. or above)
- Sheds greater than 70 square feet (electrical permit required)
- Detached garages
- Trash enclosure (wood only)
- Porches (if a violation report says permit for repairs only)
- Masonry work (mason contractor required)
- Tuckpointing (mason contractor required, masonry cleaning and grinding require a pollution prevention permit)
- Roofs (If adding a layer, a general contractor or primary owner can perform the work. If total tear-off, must employ Illinois-licensed roofing contractor)
- Fire Damage (buildings with 24% damage or less, require demolition inspection approval and an electrical permit)
- Lintel repairs (6’-0” opening maximum, mason contractor required)
How It Works:
- Available at our City Hall office, Room 900.
- Before your visit, download an application form, then submit the application at one of our offices, plus any additional documentation (must have PIN #).
- Some permits can be obtained online – apply for an Easy Permit, pay for it and print it out.
- Before submitting the Easy Permit Process application, please note the application must be signed by the owner. If the owner does not sign the application, the application is automatically rejected.
- Provide a copy of a contract signed by the owner and contractor describing the scope of work. Provide a signed letter of intent for general contractors, plumbing contractors as applicable.
View all Services