Sewer Permit information


Prior to the start of work, permits are required from the Department of Water Management for the construction, repair, adjustment, rodding or cleaning of any subsurface structure designed to collect or transport storm and/or sanitary waste water, either in private property or in the public way.  A Department of Water Management permit must be obtained only by a licensed drainlayer.  A licensed Drainlayer is a person possessing a 2004 Sewer and Drain License issued by the Department of Water Management. Evidence of a current City of Chicago general business or home repair license and a Department of Transportation Public Way Work License must be presented at the time of application for a 2004 Drainlayer’s License.

 Service Facts

 I Want To

 Additional Information

To request the Private Drain Program, click onto the 311 link.