Administrative Reliefs are issued by the Department of Buildings (DOB) to grant certain permissions related to the building permit process when necessary. DOB permit staff will notify building permit applicants if Administrative Reliefs are required for the issuance of a specific building permit.
Administrative Reliefs are necessary for the following:
• Administrative Reliefs provide the building permit applicant permission to defer submission of code-required technical information until after the building permit has been issued. This permission is contingent upon the applicant providing the Building Department with the required technical information during the construction phase of the project. (For example, DOB approves Administrative Reliefs which allow shop drawings for electrical switchgear to be submitted to the Electrical Bureau during the construction phase of the project.)
• Administrative Reliefs may be used to grant minor code permissions on a case-by-case basis for equipment or technologies approved by the Committee on Standards and Tests that are not indicated in the Chicago Building Code or for minor code adjustments where there are no life safety issues involved and national codes or standards provide a technical justification for an address specific approval.
• Large or complex building projects may require multiple Administrative Reliefs.
Applications for an Administrative Relief require the following steps:
1. Download and complete all required technical and contact information on the Administrative Relief Form. (Incomplete forms will not be processed)
2. Submit the completed form to DOB at Robert.Fahlstrom@cityofchicago.org.
3. The Administrative Relief request will reviewed by DOB technical staff.
4. The Administrative Relief will be forwarded to the Buildings Commissioner for signature.
5. If approved, the signed Administrative Relief will be is returned to the permit applicant, and to the appropriate DOB Permit staff for permit issuance.
Questions about Administrative Reliefs may be addressed to Robert.email@example.com.