Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgendered (LGBT) Health
- The mission of the Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Health is to enhance the well being of and health care delivery to LGBT people in Chicago.
Why LGBT Health?
- LGBTs face barriers to adequate health care
- LGBTs are at greater risk for some health conditions
- LGBTs are frequently misunderstood and remain either invisible or are discriminated against in the health care system
Who We Are
- We were established in 1999 within the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) to enhance the well being of and health care delivery to LGBT people in Chicago
- We are one of only a few offices in the nation working exclusively to address health disparities among LGBTs
What We Do
Link-Connect- Community Engagement
- Work collaboratively with many and varied community partners
- Work internally with other CDPH partners
- Lead and actively participate in many community work groups and task forces
- Provide linkages (connections) for community partners---connect to each other and to resources
- Promote health and awareness about LGBTs in a variety of settings (help to keep health on LGBTs’ minds and LGBTs on providers’ minds)
Teach-Train-Training and Technical Assistance
- Conduct workshops and presentations to health providers and planners about LGBT health—to raise awareness and sensitivity to unique needs, ways to improve interactions with, etc.
- Provide assistance to researchers
Share-Teach-Encourage-Empower-Public Information & Social Marketing
- Provide relevant health information to the LGBT community
- Examples of information offered: Smoking cessation information, HIV prevention and care information, substance use and abuse info., advice on how to talk with providers, etc.
- Develop and disseminate Social Marketing materials. (“Social marketing” means selling ideas, attitudes and behaviors the same way that one would sell products.)
Some of the Office of LGBT Health’s projects include:
- Chicago Black Gay Men’s Caucus
- Chicago LGBT Substance Use and Abuse Task Force
- Distribution of Kevin’s Room I , II, and
- Illinois Tobacco Free Communities
Click here to read about the City's LGBT Community Action Plan
For further information contact:
Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Health
333 S. State St., 2nd floor, DePaul Center
Chicago, Illinois 60604