Hours Of Operations
Permits From April To December
Permanent Vendors MUST purchase their monthly permit by the first Friday of every month.
Alternate Vendors MUST purchase their monthly permit by the first Saturday of the month for which they hold a valid lottery number.
Any permits that remain available my be sold after the completion of the Saturday sale to Alternate Vendors.
Permits From December To March
Permanent Vendors MUST purchase their weekly permit by Friday of every week.
Alternate Vendors MUST purchase their weekly permit on Saturdays of the week for which they hold a valid lottery number.
Any permits that remain available may be sold after the completion of the Saturday sale to Alternate Vendors.
Alternates $50.00 - License Fee
Money Orders ONLY
Licenses are renewed annually during the month of August.
Documentation needed for General Merchandise License:
Applicants must bring their current IBT Certificates. IBT numbers can be obtained by applying in person at the Illinois Department of Revenue, located in the basement of the Thompson Center at 100 W. Randolph Street. IBT numbers must be issued in the name of an individual; Corporation or LLC will not be accepted.
All applicants must have a Commercial General Liability Insurance Policy listing the City of Chicago - Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events as additional insured. It must have a minimum coverage of $1 million per occurrence and aggregate and include:
Maxwell Street Market Insurance Program Option (PDF)
(Vendor is not required to obtain insurance from Market Access)
Means a Licensee who meets the qualifications to sell prepared food items including, but not limited to, items readily consumed at the Market such as soda, sandwiches and coffee at a assigned location at the Market.
Means a Licensee who may sell fresh produce, including, but not limited to, fruits and vegetables, at the Market.
“General Merchandise Vendor”
Means a Licensee who can sell products at the Market for delivery at the Market, but is prohibited from selling food or produce.
“General Merchandise Vendor - Non-Perishable”
Means a Licensee who may sell non-perishable food items such as peanuts, spices and dried fruit. Provided, however, that such vendor is strictly prohibited from preparing or selling prepared food or beverages at the Market.
All applicants must complete an Affidavit of Disclosure of Indebtedness to the City of Chicago when applying for a Maxwell Street Vendor License. In accordance with the Section 4-4-150 of the Municipal Code of Chicago, no vendor permit shall be issued to any applicant who has unsettled debt with the City.
What You Should Know About The Maxwell Street Market Vendor Lottery
Once you have obtained a Maxwell Street Alternate Vendor License, you may purchase permits on Saturday of each week only.
In order to purchase a permit on Saturday, vendors must first obtain a lottery number to determine their place in line for permit purchase. This lottery number will be valid for the entire month.
Vendors wishing to purchase permits must follow the procedures listed below:
1. First provide the Maxwell Street Market Office staff with a 4 digit PIN. PIN request forms are available at the Maxwell Street Market Office.
2. On the FIRST THURSDAY OF EVERY MONTH, between the hours of 2-5:00pm, the licensee must dial 1-866-945-4MSM (1-866-945-4676).
3. When your call is answered, the recording will ask you to enter your Maxwell Street Market Vendor License Number.
4. Upon successfully entering the MSM Vendor License Number, the recording will ask for your 4 digit PIN.
5. After the information is verified, the recording will provide your lottery number for that month. You will only be able to obtain one lottery number during the phone call.
6. Every Saturday you wish to purchase a permit, you must arrive at the Maxwell Street Market Office at 800 S. Desplaines and line-up according to your lottery number. Doors open at 7am and numbers will be called promptly.
7. If you arrive late and are not present at the time your lottery number is called, you will still be able to purchase a permit, but must wait until the next group of vendors is called to select a space.
8. You must have your Maxwell Street Market Vendor License in order to purchase your space. If you are authorized to purchase a space for another vendor, you must have all proper documents and ID’s. You must also have your money order to cashier check made payable to City of Chicago - WE WILL NOT ACCEPT CASH, CREDIT CARDS, PERSONAL OR BUSINESS CHECKS.
9. You can purchase spaces for either $65 or $20, depending upon availability. Space sizes are as follows:
A: 10’ x 30’ Food (No parking permit)
B: 10’ x 20’ No Vehicle (parking permit)
C: 14’ x 24’ Vehicle
D: 14’ x 30’ Vehicle
E: 10’ x 10’ No Vehicle (no parking permit)
Please Note: There Will Be A Very Limited Amount Of Car Spaces Available.