The Chicago Transit Authority’s Quincy Street elevated station in the Loop would be designated as an official City of Chicago landmark under a proposal introduced to City Council by Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
Opened in 1897, the station at 220 S. Wells St. is the oldest and best example of an original Loop elevated station. Designed by prominent bridge engineer John Alexander Low Waddell and architect Alfred M. Hedley in the Neoclassical style, the riveted steel structure symbolizes Chicago’s industrial past and retains most of its significant architectural details.
Serving the Brown, Orange, Pink and Purple Lines, the structure has retained its original location and use during its 120-year history. The station is currently undergoing an $18 million renovation that includes new stairways, lighting, roof repairs, and the installation of two elevators to enable access by people with disabilities.
The designation, which was recommended by the Commission on Chicago Landmarks in June 2017, would protect the stationhouses, passenger platforms and canopies, mezzanine, and stairways from alteration or demolition.
# # #