Our vision is simple: to make it possible to find City information, and conduct every interaction with the City of Chicago, online.
- Any time, any place and with any device.
- In a secure, accessible and cost-effective manner.
- With simple, engaging, easy-to-use tools.
The Software Development team is responsible for the following:
- Create and support websites, web applications and web services that help City Departments serve their audiences and fulfill their missions.
- Create and support the City’s Geographical Information Systems (GIS). GIS is used to
- assign geospatial location coordinates to City data
- maintain and manage 300+ layers of geospatial data sets
- create and maintain web applications that use spatial data for analysis and decision-making
- produce digital maps of City information.
- Administer and support certain Enterprise software products that are used throughout the City for document management, performance management and other purposes.
Specific Duties include:
- Develop and operate the City of Chicago website (www.cityofchicago.org)
- Develop and support approximately 150 other custom-developed websites, web applications and web services used by public and internal audiences.
- Related activities include website search, analytics, security, accessibility and domain administration.
- Manage over 300 layers of geographic data in the Enterprise GIS and build web tools and maps from that information.
- Track Global Positioning System (GPS)-enabled City assets and provide this data to other systems.
- Design, develop and support enterprise shared services, which include (among others) automated routing of 311 Service Requests and online payment processing.
- Create and manage web hosting environments for City websites and applications.
- Train and support web content managers who publish information on the City website and the Employee Intranet.
- Administer and support the City's Enterprise Document Management platform, used by City Departments to store, retrieve and manage documents.
- Administer and support the City's Enterprise Performance Management database, used by City Departments to track and manage operational performance metrics.