November 25, 2011
Mayor Emanuel Joins All Chicagoans in Mourning the Passing of Maggie Daley
Mayor's Press Office 312.744.3334
Mayor Rahm Emanuel joins all Chicagoans in mourning last night’s passing of Margaret Corbett Daley, the wife of Mayor Richard M. Daley. In a statement, Mayor Emanuel remembered Mrs. Daley’s shining spirit and dignity, her commitment to the city’s arts and culture, her devotion to improving the lives of the city’s young people, and her courageous battle with cancer. Emanuel sent the sincere wishes of all Chicagoans to Mayor Daley, Nora, Patrick, Lally and the rest of the Daley family.
“Chicago has lost a warm and gracious First Lady who contributed immeasurably to our city,” said Emanuel. “While Mayor Daley served as the head of this city, Maggie was its heart.”
“Just as Maggie will remain a constant presence in their lives,” said the Mayor, “she will remain a constant presence in our city. Like Chicagoans everywhere, Amy and I will always hold her in our hearts.”
Arrangements are being prepared by the City to remember Mrs. Daley and mark this tremendous loss to the Daley family and the City of Chicago.
At City Hall (121 N. LaSalle Street):
- Memorial bunting has been placed over the LaSalle Street entrance;
- A floral display has been placed in the building’s grand central lobby and a memorial book is available for friends and well-wishers to sign and honor Mrs. Daley; and
- The City Hall lobby will be open on Saturday and Sunday from 8:00am to 4:00pm, and during the week from 8:00am to 5:00pm.
At the Chicago Cultural Center (77 E. Randolph Street):
- The Randolph Street entrance columns will be wrapped and memorial bunting is being placed over the entrance on Washington Street entrance;
- The Randolph Street lobby will have a floral display and memorial book available for friends and well-wishers to sign and honor Mrs. Daley; and
- The Chicago Cultural Center Randolph Street lobby will be open on Saturday from 9:00am to 6:00pm, Sunday from 10:00am to 6:00pm and Monday through Thursday from 8:00am to 7:00pm, Friday, 8:00am – 6:00pm.
At Gallery 37 for the Arts (66 E. Randolph Street):
- Gallery 37 will have a floral display and a place for children who have been touched by Mrs. Daley’s work to sign a book in her honor; and
- Gallery 37 will be open on Saturday from 11:00am to 4:00pm, (closed on Sunday) and during the week from 10:00am to 6:00pm.
- The Chicago City flag has been lowered to half-staff;
- Mayor Emanuel will declare an official day of mourning and a moment of silence to honor Mrs. Daley;
- and The Chicago City Council will enact a resolution honoring Mrs. Daley at the December 14, 2011 City Council meeting.
# # #