The former Mulligan Public School building in Lincoln Park was approved as an official City of Chicago landmark by City Council today.
Featuring Italianate and Queen Anne-style decorative details, the 114-year-old building at 1855-63 N. Sheffield Ave. is a significant example of late 19th century school architecture in Chicago, when handsomely designed school buildings included a variety of ventilation and sanitation standards to encourage student achievement.
The school was designed by Board of Education architect Charles Rudolph and named for James A. Mulligan, a Chicago lawyer who served as a Union Army colonel during the Civil War.
The designation was recommended by the Commission on Chicago Landmarks in February 2014.
The masonry, four-story building is currently being rehabilitated into market-rate apartments by 1855 Sheffield LLC.
# # #